Infographic on upcoming Climate calls in Horizon 2020
24th July 2019 at 2:06 pm
Climate action, environment, resource efficiency, and raw materials are a priority of the final Horizon 2020 Work Programme, in fact, it is one of the four focus areas highlighted by the European Commission under the name “Building a low-carbon, climate-resilient future”. More than 35% of the remaining Horizon 2020 was promised to be spent on projects contributing towards the goals of the Paris Agreement from 2018-2020. With one year to go there are still €391 million available across 27 call topics in four areas:
- €189 million for Building a low-carbon, climate-resilient future,
- €129 million for Greening the economy,
- €58 million for Competitive low carbon and circular industries and
- €15 million for other actions.
The typical consortium of a climate project is made up of 5-15 partners and requests funding in the range of €2-5 million for a small project and €7-10 million for a large project. Climate projects are usually completed within 3-5 years. For an easy-to-understand overview of what’s coming up in the next year we’ve compiled all the necessary information into an infographic:
Upcoming climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials deadlines
Below you will find a list of all Climate call topics opening in 2020. Are you thinking of writing a proposal for any of the mentioned topics? We can help!
The following calls all close on February 13, 2020. Based on the available budget we’re expecting between 10-25 projects to be funded.
- LC-CLA-21-2020 (CSA): Supporting the development of climate policies to deliver on the Paris Agreement, through Integrated Assessment Models (IAMs)
- LC-CLA-22-2020 (CSA): Enhancing the Belmont Forum Collaborative Research Action on Climate, Environment and Health
- LC-CLA-23-2020 (CSA): Towards a comprehensive European mountain research strategy
- CE-SC5-29-2020 (CSA): A common European framework to harmonise procedures for plastics pollution monitoring and assessments
- SC5-26-2020 (CSA): Sustainable management in extractive industries
- SC5-33-2020 (CSA): Monitoring ecosystems through research, innovation and technology
- SC5-34-2020 (ERA-NET Cofund): ERA-NET Cofund action on conservation and restoration of degraded ecosystems and their biodiversity, including a focus on aquatic systems
- SC5-35-2020 (ERA-NET Cofund): ERA-NET Cofund action on enhancing urban transformation capacities
- SC5-36-2020 (ERA-NET Cofund): ERA-NET Cofund action on raw materials
The first deadline for the following two-stage calls is on February 13, 2020 (stage 1) followed by stage 2 on September 3, 2020. According to our calculations, 55-75 will be funded from a total of 18 2-stage call topics. A short reminder: Our services are also available to any proposal which has passed the first stage of a 2-stage proposal.
- LC-CLA-10-2020 (RIA): Scientific support to designing mitigation pathways and policies
- LC-CLA-11-2020 (IA): Innovative nature-based solutions for carbon neutral cities and improved air quality
- LC-CLA-12-2020 (RIA): Advancing climate services
- LC-CLA-13-2020 (RIA): Climate resilience of European coastal cities and settlements
- LC-CLA-14-2020 (RIA): Understanding climate-water-energy-food nexus and streamlining water-related policies
- LC-CLA-15-2020 (RIA): Forest Fires risk reduction: towards an integrated fire management approach in the E.U.
- LC-CLA-16-2020 (RIA): Multi-hazard risk management for risk-informed decision-making in the E.U.
- LC-CLA-17-2020 (RIA): Polar climate: understanding the polar processes in a global context in the Arctic and Antarctic Regions
- LC-CLA-18-2020 (RIA): Polar climate: understanding the polar processes in a global context in the Arctic and Antarctic Regions
- LC-CLA-19-2020 (RIA): Integrated GEOSS climate applications to support adaptation and mitigation measures of the Paris Agreement
- LC-CLA-20-2020 (RIA): Supporting the implementation of GEOSS in the Arctic in collaboration with Copernicus
- CE-SC5-24-2020 (RIA): Improving the sorting, separation and recycling of composite and multi-layer materials
- CE-SC5-25-2020 (RIA): Understanding the transition to a circular economy and its implications on the environment, economy and society
- CE-SC5-28-2020 (IA): Develop and pilot circular systems in plastics, textiles and furniture sectors
- CE-SC5-30-2020 (RIA): Plastics in the environment: understanding the sources, transport, distribution and impacts of plastics pollution
- SC5-10-2019-2020 (IA): Raw materials innovation actions: exploration and Earth observation in support of sustainable mining
- SC5-27-2020 (RIA): Strengthening international collaboration: enhanced natural treatment solutions for water security and ecological quality in cities
- SC5-32-2020 (RIA): Addressing wild pollinators decline and its effects on biodiversity and ecosystem services