Intelligent plug-and-play digital tool for real-time surveillance of COVID-19 patients and smart decision-making in Intensive Care Units
Within only six months, over 7.4 million people have been diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2. In the most severely hit countries, more than 10% of infected patients have received treatment in Intensive Care Units (ICUs). Insufficient data and limited knowledge on the disease as well as the lack of tools to support the intensivist in making accurate, timely and informed decisions has led to high mortality rates.
Continuous surveillance, the collection and intelligent analysis of data from many sources, including ventilators and electrical impedance tomography, would allow intensivists to decide on the best suitable treatment to accelerate the recovery of the often comorbid COVID-19 patients, while reducing the burden on clinical staff and healthcare costs. This information would also increase our understanding of the yet unknown course of disease, supporting other stakeholders in the quest for new therapies.
In ENVISION, our multidsciplinary public-private consortium will advance an existing innovative digital tool, the real-time plug-and play monitoring app Sandman.MD, to an intelligent decision-support system for monitoring, prediction and treatment of COVID-19 patients in ICUs – the Sandman.ICU. The current app has been developed by our company partner app@work and successfully introduced by several hospitals in Germany for use during the perioperative period. The Sandman.ICU will be integrated into an AI-driven data analytics suite with predictive modelling tools and will be enhanced with a smart alert functionality. The digital tool will be validated and demonstrated in 12 hospitals across Europe. Our Health Technology Assessment expert partner, the University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG), will demonstrate the economic and societal value of Sandman.ICU, while our SME partner Intelligent Data Analytics (iDA) will manage the innovation process in view of an immediate market uptake. The rollout will be supported by the European Society of Anaesthesiology.
This project contributes to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 3 and 9.
Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, DE
- Semmelweis Egyetem, HU
- Del-pesti Centrumkorhaz - Orszagos Hematologiai es Infektologiai Intezet, HU
- Universita degli Studi di Perugia, IT
- Universita degli Studi di Torino, IT
- Lietuvos Sveikatos Mokslu Universiteto Ligonine Kauno Klinikos, LT
- Centro Hospitalar e Universitario de Coimbra E.P.E., PT
- Universitatea de Medicina si Farmacie Carol Davila din Bucuresti, RO
- Univerzitetni Klinicni Center Ljubljana, SL
- Univerzitetni Klinicni Center Maribor, SL
- Institut Catala de la Salut, ES
- University College London, UK
- iDA Smart Digital Solution GmbH (iDA-SDS), DE
- Löwenstein Medical Innovation GmbH & Co. KG, DE
- Tampere University, FI
- Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen, NL
- European Society of Anaesthesiology, BE
- Spitalul Clinic Judetean de Urgenta "Pius Brinzeu" Timisoara, RO
- Klinikum der Universitaet Regensburg, DE
- accelopment Schweiz AG, CH